ITM Library Newsletter September 2021
The ITM Library – now hierarchically embedded within the Research Office and physically transformed into a one-floor enterprise (check out the new pictures on this website!) – continues to offer you access to the same biomedical literature resources as before, but with ever increasing numbers of e-journals and e-books, most of which fully integrated into one platform: Ebsco Discovery Service (EDS) which has just been fully updated.
EDS includes a number of major databases and collections like Medline Complete, (a large subset of) Elsevier Science Direct, CABI Global Health, DOAJ, OpenAIRE and Ebsco Clinical Collection E-books. Recently a number of interesting open access collections were added, such as GreenFile, HathiTrust and Ebsco Ebook Open Access Collection.
- Full catalog of 32,000 library (e-)books, incl. links to over 5,000 digitally available items; for an overview of recent new books, check out our 6-monthly acquisitions lists.
- Full database of over 18,000 ITM researchers’ publications;
- Complete database of over 3,000 ITM students’ master theses, all with digital full-text links;
- The full collection of the Annales de la Société Belge de Médecine Tropicale, ITM’s publication flagship from 1920-1995, all 4,400 records with free PDF links;
- Comprehensive database of over 8,000 Ebola and Marburg virus literature;
- Selection of over 10,000 records on endemic disease control in developing countries;
- Selection of over 10,000 records on health care organization in developing countries;
- Selection of 8,000 records on library and information science focusing on topics such as biomedical literature, authorship, systematic review methodology, peer review, bibliometrics, library management, …
This ITM Library Collections subset is updated quarterly. Use the set of limiters in the left margin of the results screen to focus your research. Remember that default sorting is by ‘relevance ranking’ but that you can easily switch to (inverse) chronological order. Most - but not all - post-year 2000 items will link to full-text PDFs.
Other useful EDS features include:
- EDS offers you comfortable access to full text access when available. Downloadable PDFs are optimized by the large coverage of MedLine Complete. Another option is the UnPayWall link offering access to tens of millions of open access articles via LibKey Nomad.
- EDS contains PlumX indications for analyzing impact in social media.
- EDS is fully integrated with BrowZine, offering you the opportunity to browse to the full issue in which a retrieved article is published.
- EDS is specially adapted for viewing on mobile media.